View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #203
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Sparring in Aikido?

Quote:
Aaron Finney wrote: View Post
And it's difficult for me to understand how the terms "winner" and "loser" could possibly have any relational value outside of a competitive environment.
Hope you don't mind my butting in here, but I think the terms "winning" and "losing" are simply shorthand for denoting who has successfully done a technique and who has had one done on them...semantics, I think. For example, certain pins have been just what the doctor ordered when I've had back and shoulder aches. In the sense of remaining standing, sure I "lost," but in the sense of physical health I "won." They're mindsets most Aikidoka seek to avoid, but I think as long as "winning" doesn't become some fixed goal like "always remain standing" (e.g. sometime you may want to go to the ground after all) then it can be useful.
This is one of the main criticisms I've heard regarding sparring in Aikido, but after having practiced a bit in Shodokan I can see it's all about attitude, not terminology. It's just that some folks use (or don't use) certain terminology to illustrate subtle concepts.
Take care,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 04-06-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Gambarimashyo!