View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #149
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: How effective is aikido in self defense?

Quote:
Craig Allen wrote: View Post
Fair enough. Can we agree that the essence of Aikido is preserving the attacker and that, to do so, certain expedients must be set aside in spite of their effectiveness because they cause significant damage to the opponent?

Craig
Well, I am of a different opinion
Learning aikido to know how to fight is as valid as learning aikido for the spiritual side. In fact it is not mutually exclusive; I would even argue that you need one to get the other.

Of course the practice of aikido will affect or re-inforce your system of value, but really this is the case for most martial arts. For example redirecting and matching the intent of your opponent is the essence of fencing. Just as well you can use that in every day life.

Aikido offers several options between smashing his head in and just going away, for me this is really the particularity of the art. Any martial artist can tell if troubles are brewing and when it is time to leave, but if and when they miss the last bus, the only option left is full on head bashing.
Aikido offers you to choose between all those options so that should you wish it, you can protect your opponent or put him in all word of hurt, according to the situation.

Phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.