View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #73
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Moving with your center

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
Is it really that odd, especially for someone who has been training a bit? But the idea of Tohei Senseii's ki principles, which I was ironically more exposed to through my various ASU teachers than through the one Ki Society student (who had trained under Imaizumi Sensei), but to quote:

Is it any wonder that, hearing those things, as random quips from a teacher among others, a student might get confused, take them literally, and go to extremes that send them shooting in entirely unproductive directions? As a set of principles, they are not very informative and rather unbalanced in their attachments to one extreme over another.
Hi Lee.
May I say hearing those four principles as quips would indeed lead to confusion so no argument there.

Taking them as a set of principles however then your view is rather confusing. It shows me your lack of understanding of principle and of their relationship to each other.

I don't blame you as such I merely correct you. The fault lies purely in the art of teaching, not in the principles.

If O'Sensei himself had a weakness, a something he had yet to improve and learn, it was how to communicate (teach) the principles he knew in such a way that others could understand and grasp.

Now that's not a put down it's a facet one only comes across when they have realized and can demonstrate something and the others want to know how they do that. Sounds simple but I assure you it isn't for you are now trying to teach something that has become so simple to you yet others get confused if you tell them it's simplicity.

Regards.G.