View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #185
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Do We Need To Invent A New Training? Yes/No/Maybe/How?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I would also play with rope or power cords to try and move the whole cord using wave/spiral motions, trying to use my center and to have a sense of connecting through the whole length. Coincidentally i tried this the other day and was dissapointed at how badly I was at controlling the cord. I used to be able to make the wave travel the whole length, but not any more.
Try a length of moderate weight chain slightly longer than you can reach over your head. Lay it out on the floor and grab one end -- then get the opposite end off the floor in a repeatable and controllable way -- until you do -- watch your head !

There are other good exercises with it but that is a good one to work on. "Linear" striking with the loose end of the chain is another one -- like a whip but not like a whip -- and double watch your head until you figure that one out.

The length is such that if you do it properly you know you can manipulate the remotest part of your partner's whole structure directly. Kokyu tanden ho is the same essential "shape" and dynamic as the striking or lifting chain but slower -- a landslide versus the crashing wave. Funetori, tekubi furi, udefuri all train aspects of this.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.