View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France
Re: Aikido Isn't Bullshit

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Do you have the research to show all of this? That Ueshiba was an (1)apologist, (2)a missionary, (3)that his aikido was meant to bring peace to the world, (4)that his aikido had similar values and goals as religion, (5a-e)that his aikido was meant to develop character/morality/temperance/forgiveness/peace, and (6)finally that he saw his aikido as a positive force or influence within the world?

Personally, I think, maybe, you could make an argument for a couple of those, but not all of them. If we talk Kisshomaru Ueshiba, I think you could make an argument for nearly all of them. But, I'd like to see your research comparing both men as I think it'd be a very interesting compare/contrast.

Thanks,
Mark
When we think about Aikido and the teachings of the founder then I think Ewen's words reflect the image most people have of Aikido. It certainly reflects what most books tell us about Aikido and what the majority of the shihan are teaching us.

If we look at the teachings of Omoto kyo, of wich O Sensei was a follower, we recognize the same goals, even often the same wordings in which they were expressed.

Yes, we can say that his son simplified Aikido in order to popularize the art, he created a curriculum of techniques that made it more comprehensible to teach and to learn, he took out much of the Shinto references and kotodama exercises. But we should credit the nidai doshu for all his work, for it is not likely that any of us would be practicing Aikido, thinking about its philosophy or have talks on the subject like on this forum if it were not for him (and a number of students of O Sensei).

Tom