View Single Post
Old 09-09-2001, 10:56 PM   #7
C. de Boisblanc
Dojo: Aikibudokan Dojo
Shihan Geis

Dr. Hocker do remember the name of the BB you met at a party in Houston?

Daniel,

Geis Sensei is an excellent teacher and technician. I left his dojo for personal reasons in 1998. Geis Sensei has produced many excellent MA over his 40 years.

I currently train under Wilkinson Sensei who spent over 20 years
with Sensei Geis. Wilkinson Sensei is in the training tapes of the Koryu katas and is an excellent teacher and martial artist.

Geis Sensei has an excellent dojo and I highly recommend it.
Geis Sensei never tried to steer me into judo. If you wished to at some point in your training he would allow you to train in all 3 arts that he teaches.

It is true that some judoka I have met beleive that aikido is inferior to judo. I have found this to be the case at many schools that offer aikido and judo. I am not sure why but possible it is because the competitive nature judo has. As far as I know experience judoka had never told an experinced aikidoka at Geis Sensei's dojo that their judo was superior to aikido and vice versu. There was always mutual repect.

I will say that if an aikidoka and judoka engage that the aikidoka at maii has the advantage and that once the maii is compromised the judoka has the advantage. Some aikido schools offer training with grapping. As does Geis Sensei's dojo.

With regards to promotion being given by time served in aikido at Geis Sensei's dojo there is a template for class hours and technical requirements for promotion. I can only speak for myself that Geis Sensei required me to demostrate for shodan and nidan.

Geis Sensei is well known through the MA community and is well respected.

Best regards,
Chris de Boisblanc
Aikibudokan Dojo
Houston, TX