View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
ewolput
Dojo: Shobukai
Belgium
Re: Leading power - Soft controlling power

When I was young I didn't understand the concept of "mutual benefit", so I was always looking for a method of winning. Because my skill was almost none, I used a lot of muscular power. When I was thaught by Kobayashi Sensei I tried to use muscular power, but he always used some flexible and soft movement to neutralize my attack. The more power I used, the more the technique became painful. Kobayashi Sensei was always kind to his uke's even when it was painful.
Feeling Ohba Sensei power was the same as Kobayashi Sensei, only much "softer". He always said "bery good, but...." The answer was always about becoming flexible. I didn't understand.
Once another teacher told me : you have to feel the power and don't fight the power.
When you are uke, and tori is applying a technique, you have to feel what is happening. Is he using muscular power? Is he using too much power at the end of the technique, so it is becoming too hard? Are you fighting in the technique?
I think with the correct questions you can have an answer from your sensei about the reason of his way of using power. Training is about mutual benefit. If you ask a "positive" question, you will have in many cases a "positive" answer.
Just my experience about getting the most out of your training.
Eddy