View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #263
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
But back to your point about your Sensei, the things you say he can do, etc. Let's assume the way he does them and is indeed unique in, say, the way he does nikyo so that you can't move. I could be some schmoe who says, "Nikyo?.... pooh, I can put a nikyo on you that is godlike in its power, too". But you're talking about something different and until he feels it, you don't really have a common vernacular because the feel is crucial, right?
My post was intended to express my great uncertainty about this. I am not convinced that feeling is absolutely necessary to clear understanding. Couldn't a few clarifying questions determine what people mean? People have done this very thing on this thread with Chris H's videos and his ideas about what constitutes Aiki. People were able, without ever feeling what he was doing, to declare that what he called Aiki actually was not. At the very least, it was made clear that what Chris was doing as far as Aiki was concerned and what others are doing are not the same. This was accomplished quite easily, it seemed to me.

Quote:
Just using that nikyo as an example, I think you can get a feel for why there's little compulsion to try and put these things into words. I.e., trying to explain in writing how to ride a bicycle to someone who's never seen or been on a bicycle it theoretically possible, but communicating the idea is almost impossible.
Well, I don't know. "Almost impossible" isn't the same as absolutely impossible, right? Sure, I think it would be much more difficult to accurately explain in writing the correct feel of an action or internal position - especially to someone who had no martial training or body awareness at all - than it would be to do so in tandem with something that could be felt, but I am pretty sure it can be done nonetheless. In particular, with those who have had martial training and as a result do understand something of the nature of structural alignment, balance of opposites within one's frame, the mental aspects of ki use, etc, it would likely be far easier to offer effective explanations.

Jon

Last edited by Jonathan : 04-16-2010 at 04:14 PM.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."