View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Proper Breathing

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Do you suggest that the breath is locked during the time of execution of complete technique? Is it something similar as when sprinters run some distance without breathing? Could you elaborate, please?
I am not a sprinter, per se. However, while the idea seems similar on the surface, I would not imagine that this is done in the same manner. The resting point between inhalation and exhalation, the manner in which the breath is held, compressed and compounded, how the diaphragm and other muscles are to be contracted or relaxed and how all of this is tied to the ground (kokyu) and applied through the waza (kokyu-ho) seem to not apply at all when running.

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
As initialization really starts first in his mind, the actual physical realization of attack can be delayed few seconds or minutes, should breath be locked all that time?
Initialization of Uke's attack begins in the opening that Nage gives Uke. There is no delay, only the unity provided by Nage's mind and the way in which he uses his resting breath point to control Uke's movement (basic) and breathing (intermediate) heart and mind (advanced).

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
And last question: what is relation between locking the breath and the realisation of O sensei Misogi?

many thanks
That is a long conversation that can truly only be had with someone who has been practicing Misogi-No-Gyo to a point wherein they have mastered the basics of most of the gyo. Suffice it to say, as O-Sensei did, "Aikido is Misogi."

I hope that helps.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.