View Single Post
Old 01-18-2002, 02:11 PM   #11
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR
Boxing may be a sport but a boxer is a trained fighter specializing in a certain skill set and perfectly capable of stepping outside the ring. The question, if Aikido is to maintain any claim to being a martial way, is perfectly valid and to give Bernie his due he is not just talking about it but exploring it.

Can a person trained in the techniques of Aikido hold their own against a person trained in the techniques of a boxer. Good answers so far I have nothing to add.

There are boxers out there, even today, that consider boxing a way of life. Not a game by any means.

A dojo is not a determined environment?
If we're not talking about a ring, then let's talk reality.

In real life, there's no predetermined environment. There's no predetermined skills, there's no predetermined minds (i.e. Aikido practitioner who would actually attempt a kotegaeshi vs. one who would attempt an eyerake and a Judo legsweep vs. one who would "project" a nearby chair into the attacker and assault him with a broomstick vs. one who would piss his pants and hope that the smell drives the boxer away), there's absolutely nothing to make any decisions by.

Is the boxer smart ? Stupid ? Tall ? Wide ? Enraged ? Calm ? Drunk ? Sober ?..

Does he have friends ? Did your girlfriend just go to the restroom and you can't run away ?

Is he carrying a concealed weapon ?
Are you ?

Is your leg bruised from training last week ?
Are you wearing a thick coat ?
Are you drunk ?

Did he hit you first and thats how it all started ? Where was your awareness ?
Does he have a reason to be enraged ?
Do you have the surrounding crowd on your side ?

Are you BIGGER than him ? Is he intimidated ? Are you ?

What I'm trying to demonstrate, is that unless the question was initially asked about a restricted environment with a set of rules, it was entirely pointless.

However, if it was asked about a restricted environment with a set of rules, it was entirely pointless as well - because Aikido is not made to be a game.