View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Re: Is Aikido right for me?

Quote:
Michael Gulotta wrote:
There is a dojo down the street from my house that I never knew about.

Robert Boehm Sensei holds the rank of Sandan. In addition to Aikido, he has trained in a variety of martial arts and has over 20 years of experience. Boehm Sensei is a sergeant with the Providence, RI, Police Department, chief firearms and defensive tactics instructor, and bomb technician. He is also a member of the department's SWAT team. Boehm Sensei is a recognized police use of force expert.

Frank Gallo Sensei holds the rank of Sandan. In addition to Aikido, he has trained in a variety of martial arts and has over 20 years of experience. Gallo Sensei is a retired police officer from the Cranston, RI, Police Department. His experience with the department included chief defensive tactics instructor, firearms instructor and training coordinator, training officer, and member of the department's SWAT team. Gallo Sensei has written several law enforcement books on "Police Force", has taught law enforcement officers from around the world, and is a recognized police use of force expert. Gallo Sensei is a Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology. His research work includes the application of social and cognitive theories to law enforcement settings and problems.

Seems like two very good instructors. The only MA training I've had came as kid, when I took Kenpo for 3 years. I ended up with a green belt with 1 stripe. Next was brown, 2 stripes, then black. The only thing I can remember is Saturday morning sparring, with some pinions.

As of now I'm 22 years old, 23 in a few months. I'm 5'9", 140 lbs?, so I'm not that big. I've been trying to find some MA that teaches more along the lines of defense, rather than forms. I was about to sign up for Krav Maga, but they stopped teaching it.

My other option would be Jeet Kune Do, that instructor is a 4th "generation" teacher straight from Bruce Lee. I've never seen JKD in a defense situation. So I'm having a hard time choosing.

I'm not a bad ass who's looking to start fights. I usually stay clear of trouble. I don't want to re-inact Matrix scenes in public, fight CIA sponsored drug cartels, or turn a hardware store into a deadly weapon. However if trouble DOES find me, I want to difuse the situation quickly as possible.

So would Aikido be a good choice? I'd like to learn stuff that can be put to use after proper training obviously, as long as I don't have to become some grand master in the mountains first. I know Aikido is more complex, which is why I have no idea how long the learning curve is. Like I mentioned, my other option is JKD. Other than that, it's all McDojos around my house offering Kenpo/TKD; not what I want.

Ahh a fellow Rhode Islander...Welcome, I know of Frank Gallo sensei but not the other you mentioned....I would honestly suggest you try out a class and see if you like it. Also I suggest you should try different instructers, come down and take a class at my dojo, Aikido Downtown, a nice school good people, we are right on Weybosett street in downtown provadence. (sorry i have to plug my own school), well once again welcome, and its nice to see some locals on here.
dan

Dan Hulley