View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Internal (Hunyuan) Strength from a Yi Chuan Perspective

Quote:
Ashe Higgs wrote: View Post
because i've been trained by him and certified by him as well within our curriculum.

the differences are merely a matter of big, medium, small, and preciseness etc, as well as differences in structure, but the principles are there.
OK, so what "principles" are you talking about? "Yin-Yang" is not a principle, it's a basic theory of Chinese cosmology and is generally true in the same way that "the theory of opposites" is a principle (for every hot there is a cold; for every up there is a down) of everything. Here's 15 general "rules" (let's call them) that are found on many ILC pages. Let's look at them:

1. Stance
2. Relaxation - Absorption & Projection
3. Horizontal Plane
4. Frontal Plane
5. Sagittal Plane
6. Incorporating 3 Planes of Movement
7. Condense & Expand
8. Macrocosmic Orbit Flow
9. Tu'na (condensed) Breathing
10.North, East, South, West
11.Concave & Convex
12.Weight Shifting & Hips Rolling
13.Footwork
14.Four Directional Kicks
15.Throwing Hands

"Stance" is fine, but that's not very defined, is it? So there are no principles in the word "stance", unless you want to state a few.

The three "planes" are the standard planes of all Chinese martial arts. They equate to the X, Y, and Z Cartesian planes. Always have and always will. In fact, not surprisingly, those same planes are also standard perspectives of western physics.

"Condense and Expand"? That's part of the very standard Four Poles of Chinese martial arts. Why not list them all, since they're obviously borrowed from the classical principles?

"Macrocosmic Orbit"? Well, that sort of gives it all away right there, doesn't it? That's the use of jin/qi. Since you know the principles, perhaps you could explain why you use arm strength so much, but the classical use of jin/qi uses the dantien to control the qi?

Tu na..... that's the breathing system from which every Asian art bases its exercises (Taiji, Xingyi, Bagua, Aikido, you name it). Koichi Tohei's breathing exercises are basic Tu na.

North,South, East, West. Standard. Concave, convex? Standard. The last four are so ambiguous they're not worth cavilling about.

Bear in mind that I just watched (for the first time in a couple of years; I watched some of his stuff a couple of years ago and I've met some people who studied directly with him, more or less full-time) a video of Sam Chin and my impression is more that his system comes from southern Shaolin, not one of the neijia, so I'm not going to get into the Microcosmic Orbit stuff too much.... but what "principles" are you using when you move your arms that I'm missing?

Regards,

Mike Sigman