Thread: Martial Art?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #21
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Martial Art?

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
I've been involved in Aikido in Britain for over 40 years.
Some people will tell you that in the (unspecified) old days Aikido was, faster, stronger, more "martial", tougher and more relevant than today.
I don't believe any of that. It was just different.
The early practitioners ; including the Japanese teachers of that era; were mainly fumbling through with limited teaching skills and so learning was by experience rather than anything else. That's whay in my opinion we see so much divergence in current Aikido training.
I have known trained and taught with both Mr Ruddock and Mr Ellis - two polar opposites in their approach to Aikido; which I think rather proves the point.
Dear Philip,
I do not know what period of training you did [even if we both shared the same experiences at the same courses].To draw comparisons between different period in time is sometimes hazy and is subjective.Nevertheless the japanese teachers I met were certainly faster/stronger, more martial than todays aikidoka.As far as limited teaching skills I have yet to meet a certain Aikido Shihan we both know who displayed great skills and methodology in his art as this man did.Of course as we both know emphasis was placed not on theory but 'doing' the art.
The reason why there is much divergence in U.K Aikido is imo due to breakaway groups and
guys wanting to be top man eg big fish in a little pool.As I said many moons ago U.K aikido has had more splits than a Chinese acrobat ./Can Can girl.Get three Aikidoka together now and the result would be a new association formed with the three of them vying to be the big cheese.
As far as difference in styles between Mr Ellis/Mr Ruddock the different approach is due to the fact that both men are /were different. Tamura /Yamada Shihan displayed vastly different styles but they both
are/were [in Tamura Sensei case ] excellent aikidoka. Hope you are well, Cheers, Joe.