Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #25
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France
Re: Teachings and Trajectories

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Tom,

I have studied Thiebault's manual. It greatly aided me in my largo Mano stick arts. Thanks.
While he studied circles (as did Bruce Lee fusing Wing Chun's square inner and outer gates with the fencing circle), Kosho uses the octagon. Like the article, it is based on the Baqua. You motivate me to reread that classic.

Thanks,

Chris
I can imagine how his work can aid you with the stick arts. Perhaps especially the situations with a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other?
Always enjoyed training with sticks of any size. But the Filipino arts with a stick is the one art that I would have liked to have had more formal training in.
Funny you should use the word manual. I always imagine a manual to be a small book that you can hold in one hand, while Thibault's book is opened a meter wide. And heavy too. Just my strange way of looking at the English language.
Did you have a look at the emblemata in Thibault's book? He was a Rosicrucian.

How does Kosho use the octagon? In Ba gua it is more like walking a circle, while in fencing in Wing Chun it is more about a dividing of the body in different openings. The octagon revers to the eight trigrams? Or does it come from a different tradition?

Gassho,

Tom