View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #22
lbb
United_States
Re: uke getting hurt

Jon, thanks for clarifying. It's evident that you have a good understanding of the actual risks involved (as opposed to, for example, those who would exclude HIV+ people but apparently have no qualms about much more easily transmissible diseases such as hep B). I have practical reservations about the effectiveness of disease transmission by trying to exclude infected people from practice: even if all carriers are aware of their status (many are not) and all fully disclose their status to you (many will not), I still think that the practical approach is for non-infected people to be aware of the risks of disease transmission, and to assume responsibility for their own safety rather than expect that all infected people will go through life in some sort of self-imposed quarantine. Adopting a policy that excludes infected people enables the non-infected to continue to go through life, and blood-drawing aikido practice, in a state of dangerous ignorance.

BTW, I have never heard that malaria was transmissible between humans and would be interested to know more.