View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
jester

United_States
Re: teachers who don't speak

When I was looking at Aikido classes in my area, I went to one school that was rather small and quaint. It looked like a Japanese school with it's decorations and such.

The instructor was aloof until class started. He began by doing a technique over and over from different angles. He was working with a Black Belt.

Then it was time for people to practice the techniques. There were 2 sets of black belts that grabbed each other, and the numerous left over white belts all found partners.

I saw the Black Belts do the technique and it looked pretty good. When I looked at the white belts. confusion and awkwardness is all I saw.

The instructor, who was standing suddenly, and quite angrily stopped the class and all the students dropped to the ground on their knees. He then grabbed a white belt and did the technique on him a few times. He then attacked the white belt. The white belt didn't even come close to doing anything. It was a wrist grab technique.

The instructor didn't say anything but kept resisting every time the White belt tried the technique. He then yelled at the white belt asking him why he wasn't listening to him.

After that I never went back to his school. I'm sure that his boastfulness and silence gets a lot of people through the door thinking this is some mysterious art and they might want to be in that type of school, but I thought it was arrogant and a way to keep his high status as an instructor.

I tried to ask him a question at the end of his class, but with a look and a hand wave, one of his Black Belts ran up to me and created interference, then the instructor disappeared to some back room.

I have been to seminars where the Instructor didn't speak English or they didn't say a lot, but the message still got through. So I'm not saying all silent instruction is bad, but the way this first instructor used it, it seemed to be all about his ego.