View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #284
DH
United_States
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
An arm drag down properly is really much along the lines of what I learned from Ark and Mike.
And the response or resistence to it is not?
An arm drag down usuallty breaks their connection, or lifts them from their hips when on the ground. Or brings them to be forward weighted on their toes and then up and down- when standing.
All of which is exceedingly enhanced and increased (either in execution or in resistence and change) through internal training. That enhancement is not made manifest in just single techniques or movements. It is throughout everything you do.
Again I suggest that you give this a while to develop in you. I believe that as your body changes-so will your asessments and opinions of its affect on you and all you do.
In that respect a grappler is different than most budo people. their harder to convince for some very logical reasons. As the stress level of resistence in fighting goes up, the more development is needed to meet the demand, and the less likely someone is to be patient to allow such a shift to grow. They don't see the results in that venue as rapidly or as clearly as in less stressful environtments or arts.
An aikidoka is hardly going to deliver the same level of stress to your internal developement as a grappler.
Therefore aikido people will see "results' first. Their developement -at any given phase- is demonstrabable due to far less stress in testing.

Quote:
I have recently started working with a world class Greco Roman guy. What I feel in him is much the same as this internal stuff. Maybe not as codified, and yes, maybe not honed in on like a laser as they tend to also take advantage off other aspects that come into play in the alive environment such as speed, weight, timing. But interesting is the lack of proprioception and uprooting that occurs when they lock up and get underneath you.
I disagree and I spent years playing with Greco Roman guys. There is relaxed wrestling and changing of body parts being used within on position, say a headlock being driven by a down weight, switching to a hip lever, changing to squeeze and lift-all while standing there fighting. What this does is very intersting to both parties. In a prolonged choke attempt it helps a wredtler not get as gassed as different body parts are assigned the work. It also has a signficant affect on the guy being handled as he has trouble resisting any single load. By the time he recognizes the source it's changed. In all its forms this is sophisticated wrestling. However, it is externally driven use of muscle. It isn't internal.

Quote:
The point is, that I think many simply don't have a grasp of the dynamics of what is occurring in the alive environment that is offered in arts like BJJ, Judo, and Wrestling.
Uh...okay

Quote:
Many of these guys do much of the core stuff intuitively....you simply have to develop a certain degree of it in order to grow and be successfful.
core training is not the same as the training you are pursuing, or I think are pursuing.

Quote:
I do think also though, that if they isolated it more, and maybe focused a little bit on the methodologies of Ark and Mike that it would only serve to strengthen them that much more maybe!
Well the guys who taught me to wrestle were collegiatw champs and don't have a freakin clue what I am talking about nor the foggiest idea of how to get there.

Quote:
Anyway, those are my thoughts right now.
Again, if you remain training it will be interesting to read you in 5 years or so. But you never know about people. You're not only as guilty as aikido people trying to learn it through waza...your worse!!
I know...I was you. How are -we- worse? It's a higher stress environment requiring a total revamping to get there. I didn't want to do it. I couldn't stop. I had to stop lifting and fighting, and re-learn through failing at something I was previously good at and going slow. It was humiliating and I had to endure friends telling me I was nuts to pursue this junk. Faith in it, kept me going when I was continually landing on the flat of my back.
I wouldn't trade that training, those continuous failures, and what I developed for gold. But I had to face stopping, developing my body, going back, failing, developing the body, failing, etc. there was no way to learn it...there.
In the end, the same power used in that venue, will make aikido one of the most powerful arts in the world. It is a way to answer some of the unanswered questions of the power of aikido.
But there really is only one way to get there. You have to be invested in it-barring all else. If you practice in part, you will know in part, it's that simple.
Most guys I know cannot and will not let go of what they know, and it bleeds into what they think they know when assessing other things. It can't be helped.
We won't know about every group now training and how they learn to develop power for a few years.
It should be interesting to see who devoted their whole selves to it and who just kept doing their arts.
The former will become the new "go to guys" for the later.
I suspect it's always been that way.

Last edited by DH : 09-05-2008 at 10:11 PM.