View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Aikido For Dummies: Desperation, period.

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Alberto,
William H basically said it. You need to look long and hard for the right dojo. I wouldn't have said that, in my case, my only requirement was that the teacher be able to kick my ass... There are many people around like that and most have shitty Aikido. What you need to be looking for is something much more rare... someone who can kick your ass and do so with subtlety and finesse. If you find yourself on the floor after throwing a jab and you are not sure why you are there, you are in the right place.
George this exactly what I meant....Thanks for saying better than I did...For me Aikido is a martial art and the best Aikido I've experienced fits your description to a T.

Ending up on the mat with Fowler Sensei's smiling face looking down and asking me if I am ok (with no serious harm being done to me THAT is Aikido LOL) is exactly how I found my practice.

To further clarify my "criteria" Aikido should START by giving you the ability to prevail in a Martial Encounter but it certainly does not end there... That is only the very beginning.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 04-23-2010 at 11:52 AM.