View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Body conditioning for Aikido

I do have to agree with Janet. The exercises are for people who want very athletic ukemi, and for people who are already in shape - anyone coming with injuries or limitations is not going to last long in this regime.

How we receive technique and how we apply technique is two sets of skills. Faster, more effective, better timed technique is very much tied to better structure. I had a few teachers show standing meditation. No, it won't build up cardio. Better balance, better root, better use of whole body power and you might find the cardio goes further and your functional strength is higher.

Back in the day I did lots of long distance cross-country skiing. Hours of skate technique with hands coming up in Ikkyo Undo while feet moved off the line and changing directions while not losing momentum. I never thought about it at the time, but it's most of my randori now. Using ropes and pulleys for resistance training, or baguazhang post gardens have also been helpful. Use of makiwara for weapons training like Saito and O Sensei did - I like this too.