View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #25
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia
Re: Criteria for Dan evaluation

Quote:
Avery Jenkins wrote: View Post
using the 1,000 different ways of disarming such conflict without getting physical about it.
Sure they will, until the other monkey gets physical. What then?

Quote:
Predatory conflict? Well, that's no holds barred, sonny, and as Ron pointed out, when Igor conflates the two, you end up with some real dissonance. Igor wants to resolve a "my martial art is better than yours" conflict with a predatory-style conflict, and that's just plain silly. It doesn't resolve a thing.
Oh for God's sake, this isn't "my martial art is better then yours", this is "how do you get a fricking high black belt Dan rank when you can't even use what you leaned to defend yourself against a slap". The attacker doesn't have to be a martial artist, he can be just some guy of the street interested in training in your art and decides to test you to see if it's actually worth it. You do know the stories of how people challenged O'Sensei's students in the Kobukan and how they were dealt with?

Quote:
I would suggest that real "martial integrity" has nothing to do with demonstration of technique at all. It has everything to do with properly assessing the situation and using the appropriate tool to reach the correct goal. It may involve no technique, throw, pin at all, but it will utilize everything you've learned training in aikido. Or at least should have, if you were paying attention.
Would a punch (tsuki, atemi) be considered Aikido?