View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 12:12 PM   #166
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Hmmm. I have read into this thread for several minutes and noticed that Joeysola's (originator) comments seem to be an apple/orange comparison. I once heard a comment about the place of martial arts and the strengths and weaknesses inherent to each. An analogy was made to racing that compared sprinters to marathon runners to triathletes. Who is a better athlete? (please don't answer...)

I have a lot of respect for serious martial artists, and I respect the skill of individuals. I think the simple fact of the matter is a serious martial artist believes what they know. I believe that skilled martial artist learns to protect their weakness. I am not convinced that the originator of this thread is either, and that may be why the question was posed.

To that end, I say train in whatever you want to believe in. Then expand what your believe in and cover your weakness. If you don't want to believe in aikido, there is nothing anyone can say that will change your mind. I have noticed several excellent aikidoka comment on this thread, and if you don't want to listen to them, then you don't want to listen.

In the end, pick your race; but don't enter a sprinter in a marathon.