View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 07:01 AM   #22
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Aikido Vs. Jujitsu (brazilian)

Quote:
Aries Navy wrote: View Post
Its one of the favorite topic in our DOJO. What can an AIKIDOKA do with a BRAZILIAN JUJITSU practioner?

My opinion (READ: OPINION) Technique wise Aikido is really rich compared to the B Jujitsu. It will be hard for a B Jujitsu to tackle down a well versed AIKIDOKA.

I have tried to spar with a B. Jujitsu practioner and has indeed proven this. He tried many times to knock me down and he just could not get a hold on me. I simply blended with him and he always end up in the mat. He asked me numerous times did you trip me? I said no. On the ground with the B Jujitsu on top of me ( We started with me lying down) I was able to do both IKKYO and NIKKYO on one of the hands holding me down. Once I have done this I just rolled over still holding his hand. We ended up with me in the kneeling position while the guy is on the floor still PINNED.

With my back on the mat, I learned that an Aikidoka should be aware of the following things:

1. The punches - with your back on the mat it will be hard to parry it, one should be fast to apply the locks. faster than the punches. Try not to keep his head close to yours if you want to avoid the punches. See number 3
2. The leg locks - don't let them do this.
3. The hold that makes your head closer to his - I had a hard time applying the locks under this position. I pushed his head first then applied the lock.
4. If all things fail in real life don't forget to gouge the eyes and bite into their ears or any part of the body for the matter.

I was suprised of the result. I said a while ago about a WELL VERSED AIKIDOKA, I am far from that. Don't get me wrong about that statement,I only meant " If I can do it, a not so well versed Aikidoka what more can a well versed one do?"

On the other hand I think It will be B Jujitsu all the way if ever an Aikidoka is in on the mat on all fours with the B Jujitsu on his back. One has to avoid that from happening.

Then again the end result will still be on the practioner.

Iam interested in your comments and opinions or even experience.
Hum
I have tried that with my BJJ nephew (lest than a year in bJJ) and some grappler in the medieval martial arts world.

In the standing phase, If you can (as in are allowed to use punches (well kick knee elbow and so on) you have a chance to keep him away and enter or to jam his grab (And that put it the stuff out side the BJJ world and really making a better striker than they).
It did not work all the times but It gives you a fighting chance. I.e. you need to be better at that that he is at taking you down.

When we worked from the ground, other than me mounting and being allowed to strike (or trap one or the arms and strike) or just leaning over trapping one arm, sitting on hips/tops of pelvis and pushing under his throat with one for arm.
I invariably got my arse chewed (and I am 20 kg heavier than my nephew)
We did it with me in the guard or they in my guard, mounting or mounted.

Since we exchanging opinions and experiences
Be it a BJJ guy or any type of grappler, I found that they keep their elbow close to their body and have good connection with the ground , that make ikkio nikkio and so on almost impossible to apply before the can prevent it to happen.

Ikkio nikio and so on become only possible when a knife is already out or accessed sneakily. What we have noticed is that they then tend to extend their arms more and they are not that flat on the ground with the hips anymore

We have noticed that if the grappler is aware of the weapon, they can usually prevent you to access it; starting from standing up, we use a shove of the other hand and moving one hip back. To facilitate weapon access and make jamming the drawing hand more difficult
That being said we just tried to access the weapon first (IE the knife man was not trying the wrestle a bit and then use the weapon)

I do not know if I am well versed (just 7 years of aikido) plus a few in muy thai and Chinese boxing. (and 25 year of horse riding, that does help when it comes to oompha)
Could describe the setup and what yo did to see if I can re-create it

Phil
Ps what did you do against shoot and attempt of taking you down with his guard/ half guard?

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.