Thread: Resistance?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #66
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Resistance?

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I am simply pointing out that ukes are not like nature. They have responses.... or the nage is needing to learn.
I guess my analogy didn't work as well as I hoped it would. To expand a bit, what I was trying to indicate is that reality imposes some hard constraints. To quote Philip K Dick "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." When you learn to ski, gravity is one such constraint and this is a very good thing.

Imagine that as a skiing beginner, you are given an anti-gravity-pack. With the this gizmo you can suspend gravity and float just above the snow, you can develop graceful movements. Maybe you'd find out that this "snow floating" enriches your mind, heals your traumas, expands your social circle and does many other wonderful things. The one thing it doesn't do, is to help you learn how to ski.

A fundamental hard constraint in martial arts is that the relationship with the partner is an adversarial relationship. In training you can tune the speed, force, intent etc... to match your abilities, but having the uke suspend her intent to do you harm is equivalent to strapping on that anti-gravity-pack. You are no longer studying a martial art let alone Aikido.

Quote:
And ukes may not be in line with what the instructor is trying to impart
At the risk of stating the obvious, this is 100% the instructor's responsibility to fix. If that is not possible the pupil should be politely invited to leave.

Quote:
...nor do I want to score points
Not sure what points you have in mind Mary, are those the same points that ibb has mentioned? If you feel that this discussion will benefit from me understanding your point system - please explain.

Last edited by sorokod : 03-13-2018 at 06:19 PM.