View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Three Levels of Aikido

Hi. I am about to offer a simplified view of Aikido based on the premise that it is a martial art of Harmony. It is also based on the premise that through a way based on martial jutsu Aikido uses those same techniques with subtle alterations to effect a harmonious outcome.

Level one) The first level is a level of learning how to be in harmony with yourself. Through learning how to accept and respect the opponent no matter what that opponents intention or action. This means learning how not to react and thus keep a clear mind.

The principles in Aikido are there to help with this goal. Keeping center, ma-ai, koshi, relaxed weight underside, hara, one point, Ki extended, zanshin, center line, connection, non-resistance, blending etc. etc. are the DISCIPLINES which need to be employed to this end.

Thus I am saying it's not the first thing to do in Aikido but it is the first level or goal to aim for. As you can see it would take years to be able to maintain all of those disciplines in the face of any opponent.

Level Two) The second level or goal is that of maintaining the above IN MOTION. That is from moving attacks both from one and from many. To do so whilst keeping in and adhering to the discipline of the principles.

So all the time you will be calm, relaxed, clear mind and not only in harmony with self but also in harmony with the opposing motion. Thus all the principles of harmonious motion are learned and you then have all those disciplines to adhere to. Principles of the circle, off line, eight directions, entering, leading, meeting, etc.etc.

Martial for me is thus replaced by the word discipline. Every time something goes wrong or you get stuck or even damage occurs it is down to the fact that one or more of the principles were not adhered to and thus discipline to that degree was missing. So far from being an inferior martial art it is indeed a very disciplined one with many principles to learn and follow.

Along with the types of principles mentioned then there are the techniques themselves which when understood are found to follow those same principles.

Level Three) The highest level and thus the highest goal in Aikido is contained in level three. Having learned to maintain harmony with yourself and harmony with the attacker or opponent it's now time to learn how to achieve the goal of Aikido.

This is the level of bringing about a state of harmony in your opponent. A level where by employing the learned principles your attacker becomes no longer an attacker and feels good and centered and may I say restored and wondering why he ever wanted to attack in the first place.

Thus you would be having fun and to you there would be no enemies only lost souls or students if you will asking for your help.

From this viewpoint therefore the aim is not to harm, not to resist, not to stop, not to outwit, not to defeat, not to succumb, not to give up, but to be and share and bring about harmony.

Just because it's hard, just because it seems almost impossible, doesn't mean you cannot achieve it for it is far removed from competiton and fighting and is in truth potentially the art of no fighting, the all powerful discipline of harmony.

This is my view. No doubt there will be many against and many who think I am just whatever......

However, it's a view I share with many and I thought I'd put in in a new worded concept for the record.

Have fun. Regards.G.