Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #57
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 11

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Allen
Hope to hook up some day
Let's! I'm always ready to learn . . . or at least I try to be.

I'll try to keep my answers relevant to the thread.

Quote:
Of course there are recognizable forms. But there is a reason why those who know always discuss aiki as being formless. There is no confusion.
And the better you get at the later the less you really care about the former.
Agreed

Quote:
I think you need to review your history.
Pretty much always.

Quote:
The "they" you are referring to- being Takeda and Ueshiba? They not only managed to do just that- they themselves differentiated the two constantly to the point of talking about them as separate things and stressing the difference.
Yes, but you have the know the difference to recognize it for the most part.

Quote:
Other unique DR teachers managed to pull of some VERY stunning displays of power sans waza as well. But I don't want to talk about that anymore.
Feel free to PM me. I love a good story!

Quote:
If you were having a bit of fun with me over the "settled in a minute and half" comment regarding debates about aiki with those who focus on waza and discount aiki's immediate applicability and power? You're right. That comment wasn't accurate...it usually doesn't take that long.
I wasn't poking fun, in this rare instance, but I'm sure you are right.

Quote:
We are talking about men from another country reading about concepts a) they were not told about, b) were never explained to them c) were never framed in context to their direct training....and then having to try and figure out what that person meant and make it applicable...in another language.
Well that assumes a lot, but for the most part I tend to agree.

Quote:
In closing and going back to aiki as a method distinct from waza.
Are you sure you want to use the word "distinct?" How can the Aiki body be distinct from your waza?

Quote:
Stop and think, many of Takedas and Ueshiba's students were koryu people, military people, judoka,...men who had experience and exposure to some pretty significant heavyweights.
To my knowledge what impressed those educated men most about Takeda and Ueshiba....wasn't technique. It was their aiki power, stated over and over. and that came from the body method-"the concepts" referred to here in our discussion. The "concepts" either rarely if ever talked about publicly, or as Peter so clearly demonstrated....that can get "Translated" into uselessness.
Actually, you are virtually quoting me here from years back so we are certainly in agreement.

Still, I enjoy the academic discourse (I learn from it) while maintaining the opinion that nothing much will be resolved conclusively here even if I thought conclusiveness were achievable . . . which I don't.

BTW, sorry if this is incomprehensible . . . it is bed time in the Beebe houshold and my kids are climbing on me and singing in my ears.

Not that I mind that much!

Allen

~ Allen Beebe