View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
MM
United_States
Re: YouTube: Push Test to Nikkyo

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Go with the flow and switch to waki gatame - rokkyo.
Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
I thought that the kosher iwama version was to just drop the hip a little more backwards and still do nikkyo.

But switching to rokkyo is also a favorite.
As an exercise, this was just designed to show how the correlation between a push test and a base technique. With structure, tori isn't forced to "move off the line and blend". As tori, I'm not under any load or force and am free to turn into uke's force. My upper body isn't receiving the push at all. Instead of being forced to step off the line, try to extend uke out over his center, blend, and then apply the technique, I'm using Internal Methodology, the beginnings of aiki.

Quote:
Maarten De Queecker wrote: View Post
Just a thought: why would you resist if anyone pushes? I'd rather let all that energy get past me instead of trying to resist it with inner strength (or leg strength as I prefer to call it). Then again I'm a lightweight..
Why did Ueshiba always have people push on him? Wouldn't it have been easier if he had just let that energy go past him rather than trying to "resist" it? Do you think Ueshiba was "resisting" all the people pushing on him? Or perhaps, there was something internal going on that allowed Ueshiba to negate, nullify, or harmonize all that incoming energy from the people pushing on him?

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
I think there is a parallel here. I have virtually used the same words that you just have to explain the same thing . . . for years . . . to the same ends . . . crickets chirping. I have what I call the 150% rule. That is, one must be able to do something 150% quantitatively and qualitatively beyond the capacity of one's witness before that witness will begin to consider that what one is doing is operationally different than what the witness already "knows" and can explain. (As you know O-sensei demoed the 150%+ rule quite frequently.) Anything less than 150% and, in all likelihood, the witness will place, and explain, what is happening in the context of what they "know." Trouble is, I'm not developed to the extent that I can readily demonstrate a capacity of 150% beyond most folks.

All the best,
Allen
Hi Allen,

Can't disagree with you. I'm certainly not developed enough to do the 150%. But, there is interest out there, so I figured I'd toss some video up.