View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #96
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Ultimate fights expand to include kids

Quote:
It isn't important to me to debate to terms and labels.
But that is all you do. You use labels like "violent" and "MMA" and "society" and "kids". Then, as Kevin said, you use emotional arguements, not logical ones, to present your opinion as the "high ground" (oops, another label). Some (or many) of us just don't buy it.

Quote:
I asked a question that hasn't been answered. It is a question in my mind that needs to be answered. Critical above any of the rhetoric said here in support of kids doing MMA. I understand why the question of why kids can’t wait until they are 18 has not been answered.
Asked...and answered...

Quote:
I'm sure many have, and many will. Most of the top competitors in MMA either wrestled, boxed, did TMA, or some other contact sport in their youth. But just like there are jr. wrestling leagues through out the country, there may be jr. MMA leagues. Unless there is a convincing difference between the two, I can't see a logical reason not to have both for the families that choose to participate. Someone brought up a fireman's carry move earlier...I'd been doing that and having it done to me for years as a kid in wrestling. A similar waza exists in judo, and most forms of jujutsu. Kids have been doing [it] on their own in school yard fights for centuries.
Anyhoo, looks like Samurai Jack lives. Oh boy...

Best,
Ron (it shouldn't be hard for the admins on both boards to check the IPs involved)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)