View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #119
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: How old were you when you began...

Good questions always appear again, like perennial flowers in the spring and summer! Nice to see the "new faces".....

sorry about the poetic similes and metaphors... I think I will ask my husband for a nice nikyo so I will stop daydreaming.

Oh yes, about 22, I had a couple of years of judo at college and the teacher's cousin who was teaching downtown where Linda, a friend of mine and I also attended taught about three months of Aikido before we graduated. In November, of that year found dojo in NY, stayed for about seven years, stayed in Japan for a year and a half after a three week tour, came home to CT and the local Y's new building were looking for new classes.... taught there for almost eight years.... then complications set in, job change, non training related knee injury, marriage etc. (Met my husband at the Y in 1980)

Did a little practice since 1980's but not much. We're trying to get back into it now, at 67 (me) and 55 (him). This thread has a good subtopic -- when you started and when you restarted