View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
Dan Hover
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo/Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States
Re: Sunadomari Quote - Opinions Please

Well, in comparing whether or not Tenkan is feasible when being compared against Karate or whatever in a Martial way vs. Martial way. You have to look at are you comparing a Martial way (Budo, Aikido and the like) vs. a Martial Sport (BJJ, TKD). This may be a semantical argument, but nevertheless, one that requires some thought. Tenkan as a tai sabaki movement may not be practical at all when dealing with a speed like linear approach found in most Martial sports (although I have to admit I have seen a very practical application used against punches and jabs, using a ikkyo undo like approach). But by comparing it to those arts again, you are comparing Latin to Slang. two very different branches of the same tree. Which to me is a mistake many Martial artists make. Read Draegers books on the Bujutsu, budo and you will see that combat is a priority is pretty low on the list of the Modern Budo which Aikido is. And yet we as Western minded Aikidoka are constantly trying to reassure ourselves that are chosen art is as "street effective" as BJJ, MMA, Krav Maga or whatever. But this is not the point of budo or Aikido. It is like what Dirk was saying earlier. Even Saotome mentions it in his book "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature" Why train with sword or staff, when a gun or missile is so much more effective as a weapon with minimal training?

Dan Hover

of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong