View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #31
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Regrading grabs in Aikido...

Chris,

If I thought like that, I'd be saying the same thing when reading Osensei - "Man, why you got to make things so complex - it must be because you don't get it?!"

Before you know if someone is off the mark, you got to know you understand them - and you've already said you couldn't. This is not calling them like you seem them, this is calling them when you can't see them. There's a difference - right? Moreover, there are better ways of expressing your disagreement with something - assuming one can express their point of view - and that is what this forum is about (in my opinion). It is about dissimilar views coming into contact with each other - it is not about two folks saying, "Well, you think differently that I do, so you must be lame."

There were many points I offered in my second to last post to you that you did not address. For example, your idea that Aikido has no answers in hand-to-hand situations but does so for weapons fighting is something that may only be clear to you - it's not to me. I would imagine it is not clear to a great many other people - especially folks that train in the usage of current weapons. I was trying to have a dialog. Only one of us was trying to go away and keep his ideas to himself - since you brought up the masturbation reference.

Additionally, I think it is an unwise assumption on your part to feel that if one THINKS that one is not DOING. Perhaps that is your experience - but my experience is quite different. My teachers have always managed to do both - always feeling you need to do both. To discuss something, we have to allow for different experiences. I do not try to universalize my experience and see you through that light only - which is why I may first feel that your view could only come from someone that has at most trained 5 to 15 years in one or an accumulated several martial arts, focusing mainly on forms training (with hints of pseudo-spontaneity training), with practice consisting mostly of 2 to 4 hours a week. I don't run with that idea because I know it is very likely, no matter how plausible it first seems otherwise,that I would be completely wrong about you if that is what I thought based solely on a paragraph or two that you wrote. Like I said in another thread - I'd like to see video of you before I even start down that road of trying to figure out where your ideas are coming from. In short, it is a mistake to go backwards from idea to person when we are opting to only see the world through our own subjective (extremely) limited perspective. A broader mind is needed here. If one doesn't want to broaden their mind, that's fine - only I wonder why such a person would post at all since not posting would be the surest way of keeping one's ideas all to oneself.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.