View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #18
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States
Re: Breakfalls and location of dojos

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
A person who wants to be a good uke will practice all kinds of ukemi for all kinds of situations. You have to trust nage not to hurt you.
Once trust is built up between a nage and uke then nage takes uke's balance and controls uke. Uke has no control. Uke relies on his/hers training to land safely. Ukemi will be without thinking.
David
I disagree that uke does not have controle, they just don't have a lot. If ukime was a complete lack of controle, then there would be no point in training in it. The uke always has the option of going soft or hard, in my experiance (which granted is not great), as long as they keep up with nage. If the uke falls behind in the technique and is in a bad position when thrown, they have to eather take a hard and high breakfall or injure themselves, but them falling behind in the technique is a sign of bad ukemi. If you fall behind, you loose any chance to counter or to take soft ukemi. Personally, I like ukemi better than nage because it seems to be the more active role.