Old 11-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #69
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: Rank-Aikido (pun intended)

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Here is a good experiment to help one figure out what is being discussed here:

Go to a dojo, seminar, camp, event, etc., that either employs rank colors and/or a hakama to note seniority. Do NOT wear your black belt or your hakama. Note how much cooperation you receive when you are nage. Note how much flack you may receive when you are Uke if you press the matter of proper body mechanics. Now go to another dojo, seminar, camp, event, etc., that also employs rank colors and the hakama to note seniority. Wear your black belt and your hakama. Note how much cooperation you receive when you are nage. Note how much flack you may receive when you are Uke if you press the matter of proper body mechanics.

I predict that the differences will be amazingly different. This is Rank Aikido.
You don't need to predict anything; I experienced just that many times when a student. One reason I have six BBs is different styles is because I always used to wear a white belt when 'travelling' and so also went through the grades. Obviously, I was BB in some styles before others but remained a white or coloured belt in others for years and years. Simply, the higher the grade you appear to be, the easier the time you have - unless you do Judo, which is exactly the opposite. Wear a BB in Judo and anyone under you thinks they have the automatic right to try to better you, and guess what, they do have that right, whether you are a high graded guest instructor or just and ordinary joe.

In the BAF it was common knowledge that certain people - even amongst the volumous white belt crowd (no coloured belts), would 'assume' control and try to teach you what to do when training. It was a real pain in the A to train with these people, even if they were better than you. I just expect people to shut up and train. Accordingly, I try to prevent such in my own students ...