View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #31
Kim Rivers

Dojo: Berkshire Hills-Ryu Aikido
United_States
Re: Everyone been training for 30+ years?

Quote:
Niadh Feathers wrote:
Sorry, but this begs for the best definifiton i have heard for an expert.
An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
lol
Niadh
I love this definition Niadh. Makes me want to get it printed on little cards and pass them out when someone names themselves an expert. I wonder how well that would go over?

So I was reflecting on this and thinking there are moments that it appears an aikidoka can appear to be an expert. Say as in th erole of the teacher for the class or if they are of higher rank than fellow students. It could be very tempting to let this illusion fly too and I recall when I received my brown belt I had a phase of being "too big for my britches" in this way.

Thankfully Within our particular aikido community I was reminded by both word and deed of other higher ranks and our founder that EVERYONE has something to teach and something to learn. It is a disservice to all, including the self to let the ego get out of control and taint the moment of connection between aikidoka, no matter their place on the path of training or whether they get to wear fancy pants.

Now as a nidan and an instructor of my own branch dojo, I am really grateful for all the students, especially the new student, as I know I'm going to learn so much. -Kim