View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #20
6th Kyu For Life
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, Oberlin Ohio. Utah Aikikai, Salt Lake City, Utah.
United_States
Re: can we just get along

Let me make two comments:

First, in order to understand Aikido, and Aikido's place in the Martial Arts, we have to look at the "bigger picture." Aikido is not an island, it is very much connected, and in many ways overlapping other martial arts. So, Justin, you're absolutely right, we can't just say "Aikido is the best." I think it's the best, but that's coming from someone who's practiced only Aikido for only two years. I have two friends that used to do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu that always argue with me that BJJ is not only better than Aikido, but better than all martial arts. So anyone who says such things is a little suspect in their integrity. Does that necessarily mean that they're wrong, or do they just have a different opinion?

The truth is, if you were to make any such assesment, you'd have to step away from Aikido to become the "dispassionate observer," someone who has no stock in whether or not Aikido is better or worse. This is how things like religion are studied in college. You don't go to a course on Christianity expecting to be taught about Christianity the same way you would be at a church. However, in the world of martial arts, all we have are "churches," places where there is a need to be "better than the other ones."

So what's the solution? Well, basically you're right, there's no way to prove, either through martial confrontation, debate, or academic study that any martial is any better than any other one. But, if you wanted to really understand Aikido, you'd have to look to understand other martial arts as well. These forums may be the beginning of just that.

Second,
Quote:
Martial arts is like a religion,
Since I am studying religion, I agree with you. Aikido is like religion, but it isn't exactly religion. It's weird. I wrote a post about this a couple of weeks ago in this thread, if anyone is interested: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...0&page=19&pp=2

Peace,
Tom Newhall