View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #139
Alfonso
Re: Ikeda Sensei Demos of Ki

Budd, a couple of disagreements. One , Ushiro is not on this thread is he? Phi is interpreting Ikeda

1) Yes, but as nage, how do you push or pull or what? How much connection do you need?

2) I know what you mean, but can you parse this? This is buzz word without explanation. What happens to the other four legged animal?

3) more buzzwords; move your center through their center? you mean take my belly button and rub it against his ( I know you know, please unpack)

thanks Phi and Budd

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
Phi, that's an excellent example and damn if Ushiro isn't hitting the three fundamental pieces . . (my interpretation - someone else feel free to jump in and disagree):

1) Connected - Make the physical connection between yourself and the other person (this is easy, it's accomplished on touch)

2) Unity - Unify your center with the other person's so that you are a "four-legged animal" that you are in control of (this needs to be felt and grasped as a "skill", then conditioned with training partners giving you a dumb force to work with so that you can develop the skill)

3) Change my inside - Move your center through the other person's center and you will move them (the internal part of this being that once you have some skill, you don't have to visibly "move" to accomplish this based on what most observers can see, hence uke's balance moving back until it's broken while Ushiro doesn't appear to "move"). On a related note, I've heard from attendees to Chen Bing's lessons that his recommendation on addressing an incoming force (push, pull, grab, etc.) is to "change the inside".

Anyways, them's my $0.02 based on Phi's example - anyone want to add, disagree, or otherwise participate?

Best/Budd

Alfonso Adriasola