View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
azrielg
Dojo: Shobu of Boston
United_States
Re: Focal points for solo training

Quote:
Ernesto Lemke wrote: View Post

Your description strikes a chord since one glance at your dojo of origin reveals we share the same source when it comes to our IT. I imagine it would be hard if not impossible for most other parties to make much sense of (some parts) of your descriptions. Maybe these sort of specifics are best asked to those in the know (not me- yet).
I see what you mean. I guess since reading on this forum, I thought this dialog about body mechanics would be welcomed.

Quote:
Ernesto Lemke wrote: View Post

So leaving that aside for now, is it possible for you to maybe share how IT is incorporared into your aikido dojo.
I learned very early in my aikido training that solo practice is necessary for developing strong aiki. Given my rank and experience level, I hesitate to comment too strongly on "how its done", but I will say that our solo training profoundly improves nage's stability, body awareness, and control of uke's balance. I definitely apply the 'winding' principle from [2] during tenchi nage.

With respect to my dojo: the IS stuff is infused in everything we do. Gleason sensei teaches an internals class once a week and then vibes off the material from that class in his normal aikido classes. In addition, he often elaborates in terms of the kotodama as they relate to aiki and aikido. Its great