View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #15
Tambreet
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo, Chicago
United_States
Re: Training in Tokyo

Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote: View Post
Here's my recommendation based upon personal experience of training with these folks...

http://www.cup.com/kobayashi-dojo/english/index.html

Kobayashi Yasuo Shihan, 8th Dan, Aikikai, started as an Uchi Deshi for OSensei in 1955. He runs Kobayashi Dojos with his son. His dojo is located in Kodaira, which is a 15-20 minute train ride from Shinjuku. His son's (Kobayashi Hiroaki, 6th Dan, Aikikai) dojo is in Tokorozawa which is a little closer. Shinjuku is a 20 minute walk to Hombu dojo.
I second this recommendation. I was just visiting on a short trip a month ago and we trained a few times with Kobayashi Sensei and his son. I really like both of their teaching styles and the enthusiasm and atmosphere that they brought to the training permeated through all their students.

Hiroaki Sensei and Kasahara Sensei both speak fairly fluent English, and Kobayashi Sensei speaks some. They also have a fairly active uchideshi program and there were three English-speaking uchideshi around when I was there.

I also trained at the morning class a Hombu a couple times, and enjoyed it, but I wasn't crazy about the style. It was very, very crowded and the teaching style (no talking and very little demonstrating) is not the best for me. However, everybody learns in their own way and maybe the other classes there are taught differently.