View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #1835
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
Tsuki/atemi...
dunno, would say a love hate relation.

Fine for movement, etc. - but the way it is practiced typically will leave most people on the floor of any boxing ring. Im not saying its impossible, Im guessing Rokkyo may potentially be pulled off - but even then the strikes in Aikido are nothing like in boxing.

I see too many people, [ranking], who appear to believe that their Tsuki is awesome - until a gentle reminder comes up with a typical jab, etc. which is too fast. [of course no real hit in Aikido, but its fast enough to make the point.]

There are all kind of simulated strikes and entries, which I personally dont like only in that if the person were really hit the whole body would not stay in the postion it is in to finish the move how it is done.

More than likely you would transition to a ground move once someone is hit, etc.

Again, not useless - but within a wider picture, from my experience, it can be misleading.

Peace

Dalen
Good points! I'm not saying anything about the general quality of strikes practiced in Aikido (FWIW-mine suck), only suggesting there is probably something more to the "karate chop" to the forehead than perhaps meets the eye. I'm a very low level student, so I'm making no strong claims of authority here, but raising the tegatana and cutting seems a like a potentially good deflection followed by a potentially good suppression. My understanding is that ideally it shouldn't matter quite so much what hits aite...whether it's my ulna in a downward arc or my knuckles in a more horizontal one, if the rest of my body is well-connected to it, it should be viable.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!