View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aikido, Rickson Gracie and Connection

There is a connection. As I mentioned before, I just go back from the European BJJ Championships. Watching the fights you see alot of different styles and strategies. Of note, watching white belts fight is different than black belts. Watching old guys fight is different than young guys....watching old experienced guys is different than young experienced guys.

Younger guys tend to use athleticism, speed, and strength as favored methods for winning. Older experienced guys tend to move slower and are more successful and using technical abilities and "connection".

Which is better? A combination of the two I think. I would have a hard time beating a younger guy that is faster, in better shape, and more agile. Not impossible, but these things count for alot.

I suppose my point is, that while they are related and the ability to use connection and internal skills are present in the presented conditions of BJJ, Judo, Tai Chi, etc.....there are alot of other things going on as well, so it can be difficult to determine relative value and to also separate what is going on.

In internal training or aiki training, the methodologies (good ones) have created conditions whereas you isolate out the things you want to DISCOURAGE over those that you want to ENCOURAGE. Basically you create the problem set such that you can enhance the development of desirable traits.

hence Rob John's comments above.