Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Aikido: Discussions of power

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Graham.

It appears that you are out of alignment with Dan on what type of Power this thread was started to discuss. Below is from Dictionary.com:

"pow·er   [pou-er] Show IPA
noun
1. ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.

2. political or national strength: the balance of power in Europe.

3. great or marked ability to do or act; strength; might; force.

4. the possession of control or command over others; authority; ascendancy: power over men's minds.

5. political ascendancy or control in the government of a country, state, etc.: They attained power by overthrowing the legal government."

Dan is referring to power as defined by #3 and you are in #1 and to some extent #4.

So, with this in mind, what are your thoughts on power as defined by #3 and how you feel it relates to Ueshiba's Aikido ?

Greg
Interesting, thank you. As per number three? Well I'll try to answer as best I can.

First of all strength, might, force I would generally say is not to do with my Aikido but would qualify that as brute strength, might, force.

Secondly I would say that those things are generally equated with physical and include such energy as aggression etc. So once again I would say it's not my Aikido.

Thirdly as far as ueshiba goes I would say that before the war he too was employing that way of thinking to a large extent although continually seeking that 'something else' I would also say that before the war he sometimes showed that something else but was yet to fully grasp it.

Now after the war and more importantly after his realization regarding true budo I would say his whole view on power changed. Thus I would say what looked like force and strength and might was now no longer such and he himself would spend the next x amount of years trying to communicate and teach such.

Regards.G.