View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Basics of Spiraling Motion

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
Hi Mike, can you post links for those enthusiasts' descriptions?
Pointless, Jonathan. Besides, I prefer that they go on doing what they're doing without making them think about it too much.
Quote:
For instance, you may think I am trying to BS here but I am being honest: the 4 directions of force you laid out here really are old news, like you said. And they underlie what *I* meant when I wrote this post. I have practiced those directions explicitly in the past, but the way they interplay when used in combination and in serial sequence results in curved motions that I practice now. (like you said was demonstrated by Feng.) So the post was about what I do now (the curved motions). They curved nature of the motions are in my mind linked to "using the ground/gravity" because they seem to exist as a direct effect of trying to not "lose" the feeling of the ground/gravity. (Meaning, if you don't care about jin, then those 4 directions won't automatically merge together and mutually round each other out.) So-- because I wrote that post instead of citing Peng, Lu, An, and Jing, does that mean I am not doing anything like you are doing? Maybe. Or maybe it means a lot of info is structured in my mind in a way that is kind of disimilar to yours?
Jonathan, it's hard to tell what someone is doing just by reading what they write. I usually get a hint if someone says something wrong or out of place: I.e., I know when someone is definitely wrong, but if nothing wrong is said, I simply don't know, although I can often get a hint what general level someone is by what they say. The critical issue to me is that all of this talk of spiraling or curvi-linear movement has to be based on basic jin and if someone shows me "spiraling" but they don't have even basic jin then the inescapable conclusion is that all the talk about 'spiraling' and "I know some advanced things that I'm not showing" is pure baloney... it is impossible. Sure someone can do some "advanced" things, in terms of tricks and techniques, but it certainly won't have anything to do with internal strength.

Another common problem I've run into over the years is that many people can exhibit a, let's say, "immovable stance", but it may not really be jin and they're unaware of it. In their mind they've been "very hard to move" and therefore they must be doing internal strength already. In the last 4 or 5 years, I've just starting shrugging and saying "nice", because what they're doing is far enough off the mark that it's pointless to correct (they won't change because they're convinced they're already there). In other words, until you feel what someone does, it's hard to form a good opinion.

2 cents.

Mike Sigman