View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
tim evans
United_States
Re: In the moment....transitioning into another technique

Quote:
Larry Cuvin wrote: View Post
Tim,
As a newbie myself, IMHO, it all falls on you. Here are some things that you might want to check: 1) you may have moved late, 2) there was an opening in your technique that allowed him to regain control/balance, 3) you might be colliding with him giving him something to resist to, and maybe 4) you did not perform with confidence.
Allow me to explain:
On #1: once maai is broken you need to move- when he is committed to the attack and he knows he got you this is when you move.
Lets go to #3: lineup to his attack and let him continue on the same direction (initially)- this way you don't collide. If the technique involves grabbing, grab lightly so you don't disturb him (thus colliding).
Now on #2: You need to see the technique in your mind already completed- this way you move almost in one motion, no stops. I normally find this difficult when I'm learning a technique.
On #4: This is when you know the movements and the requirements on the technique and you just have to perform it and trust in yourself that the technique will work.
And also I being from a Ki Society flavor, relax, shoulders down, elbows down. Did I mention relax?

Hope this help even by a bit. Have fun figuring it out man!
Larry going to class to try and figure this out TIM