View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #397
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Mike Wrote:

Quote:
If you can't show it or use it realistically, it ain't real. Notice how I always try to avoid saying "it works in a fight"? That's because I don't have any hangups about fights and I've been in a lot of them, so the testosterone stuff doesn't mean a lot to me. If this stuff is realistic and it will realistically benefit the 105-pound young lady that
I am over it too. RIght now though, my main focus is training soldiers for very specific conditions...so naturally my mind, thoughts, and perspective will tend to center around practical applications.

The interesting thing is that we ((Modern Army Combatives) is really geared toward teaching principles of proper movement and muscle memory vice "step 1,2, 3...Kiah!". However, our focus tends to be very narrow, specific, and physical in nature. A good base to build upon.

It does favor the physicality, full speed, and resistance though...which will build skill quickly in young soldiers.

What I am findng here lately though is that I cannot "hang" anylonger in the speed, endurance, and agility categories with these younger guys.

So, yes, there will need to be "something else" if I stay with it....there is an old saying about old warriors.....something about they "never die.....they just fade away!"

Anyway, continues to be a great discussion.