View Single Post
Old 10-18-2003, 04:06 AM   #60
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Sorry been away for a while.

Yes my military background has definitely had an impact on my views of conflict resolution.

If nothing more, than the way anyone's background would have an influence on their personal view/paradigms.

Initially it caused me to really think hard about violence, the causes/motivations.

My martial arts training and eastern studies in philosophy and budo in particular gravitated me toward zen buddhism, and ultimately toward engaged buddhism which I personnal identify with as my chosen philosopical/religious guidance.

My military background guided me to the martial arts. So you see, they are connected.

Of recent events of the current wars which I have been apart of in one way or another. I have grown to see that the issues are very, very complex and that there is no easy answers.

One thing I have garnered is that I know that in my future career in conflict resolution is that I will not be able to change the world, but maybe if I am lucky I can influence others through my teachings and my practices to see the possibilities of peace.

I could go on, but it gets really winded and tangental and I am not sure if I would be answering your question directly.

Let me know if you want me to expound more!