View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #67
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: 100% Cooperative Training

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
100% cooperative training is a disaster.
Always has been
Always will be
It will always fail.
It isn't budo
It isn't Martial arts
It has no place in a discussion of Budo or in Martial arts
It is something else.

What possible value is this to Budo?
What does it have to do with weapons?
What does it have to do to defending against a weapon?
If it is a budo why not get a swordsman to cut with a bokken like they use in real budo?
Since it is not an attack, since it is not therefore a defense against an attack.... what is it, on the earth?

Can someone explain to me how this relates to any budo practice that they recognize? How does this 100% cooperative training relate to any budo anyone, anywhere, recognizes as a Budo?

Budo is taught in degrees of cooperation that gradually increase in resistence. Otherwise you are not doing a budo. But that's okay too. Just don't confuse the two.
Dan
Dear Dan ,
It may well be that some people need to train with a degree of mutual co operation in order to ascertain /acquire skills.The degree of percentage may well be 100% or less .I think it would depend on the level of competence of the persons involved.However if the people continued throughout their
practice always being 100% cooperative and falling over at a drop of a hat that imo is a waste of time.[
Any senior person I think would go easy on a beginner , but as the beginner gets more experienced the level of training should get more intense.Cheers, Joe.