View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #57
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Love to hear your oppinions on this video.

Quote:
John Connolly wrote: View Post
Chris H.,

I sincerely hope that you take the advice of people who have been critiquing your method/video. It seems like you are on the defensive now in a serious way.

You have to recognize that yours was a massively cooperative drill. See any of the comments earlier about grabbing/striking/knife reactions and try to understand that you have set up a fantasy, not a simulation of reality.

Even if you subscribe to this as Aiki (I don't, many others don't), your exercise seemed to create ONE type of energy, frantic and uncoordinated. I would suggest redefining your methods, slowing it down, and then re-trying this experiment.

I wish you the best in your efforts.
All classroom training is "massively cooperative". Everyone has to agree to show up and work together to get better.

I personally don't believe my drill is "massively cooperative" though. I believe everyone involved is honestly trying to attack and defend to the best of their abilities. I believe there is little conscious effort to make someone look better, or attempt to deceive themselves.

That's what it looks like when you put 4 average guys together and tell 3 of them to wrestle one of them to the ground. If you doubt it, try it.

Unfortunately I did go on the defensive. I was feeling kind of boxed in yesterday, and felt like much of what was said was personal. I'm trying to not be on the defensive or offensive though, I would really just like to hear what people have to say.

You've got to understand I left "mainstream" aikido for a reason. I couldn't find what I'm looking for there. Some of you have suggested that I find some kind of hard style teacher. However no teacher I have seen can do what I'm looking for. So I have to do it on my own. If you have footage of an aikido teacher doing noncooperative stuff I'd love to see it.