View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #31
NekVTAikido
United_States
Re: Just how real is violence? And where does Aikido stands in all of this?

Hi Mark, I'm not assuming that Scott is trolling, I'm asking him. I think it's a fair question, based on his post.

"Liberal as Hell" is not the problem. The problem is that there are multiple occurrences of that phrase, and others, in a context that is generally derisive.

I disagree with Scott's conclusions, but I recognize that it's grey area, and I'm interested in discussing it with other open-minded people. Scott's raises interesting points... but his tone (e.g. word choice) in this post seems to indicate that he's pretty judgmental about people who don't agree with him. If he continues in such a tone, then I'm not interested in talking with him. I'm still interested in the ideas...but I'm not interested in participating in a conversation where people are called stupid.

(Liberals as a bad as conservatives in this regard - and in many places both sides seem to be competing to out-do one-another in general nastiness. I can't do much about that in most places, but I hate to see it happen on Aikiweb.)

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
So, if someone describes a person as "Conservative as Hell", then it's trolling, too? How about if they describe someone as "Democrat as Hell"? Is that trolling?

Conservative, Liberal, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, all describe people's views. In fact, they are but generalities as you can have a Liberal Republican and a Conservative Democrat. Far Right, Far Left, Communist, Marxist, etc are also general adjectives describing people's views and beliefs.

Scott wasn't trolling. Stating his opinion, yes. It's amazing, but I find that if you're tolerant of others, you can read things like that without getting upset. For example, Marc Abrams and I have some very different views, but we get along great. Or Janet Rosen and I.

Tolerance. It's not just for conservatives anymore.

Mark