View Single Post
Old 10-14-2002, 08:30 AM   #19
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great replies. Since I could get no answers personally, I did some online researching to see if I were wrong in reacting to this in such a manner.

In checking for any Aikido relations with this guy, I found that the guy may have had some exposure to something called Shintaikido which is a mixed martial art that has some Aikido elements to it. The founder of this style trained under Pat Hendricks and Robert Nadeau.

He may have also been exposed thru something called Taikenjutsu as well.

Though it appears there's a link, I am not sure that our guy ever made Shodan in Aikido(he claims dan grades in many many many martial arts). To give him his just due, I think he is great at what he does, which is jujitsu. The ukemi standard of his dojo is higher than mine in many ways, which is good I think, and it comes from their jujitsu training.

My only beef is that I really think he is only marketing Aikido cuz it's something "new" to our country and people are very ignorant about what it really is.

Regardless of what training he may have been exposed to, what I saw him execute was not Aikido from what I've learnt, experienced or read about(and I have trained abroad in other styles of Aikido than my own). The techniques looked similar, but they were all forced muscle movements, the aiki, the blending and coordination was nonexistent. They even train using a karate-like front stance.

The reason I started this thread is because very soon it will become apparent to the country and his students that there is more than one Aikido dojo in the country. Because of all his claims and the sheer size of his sphere of influence, I am hoping this does not bring any sort of friction between the 2 organisations.

I have already let go of this subject Bruce, thanks for the advice. I really believe that the truth will come out. After that, it's up to the free will of those who know better. I'm cool either way.

Arigato Gozaimashita

L.C.

P.S.: Pablo, if you're in the area drop me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with a good divemaster

Last edited by L. Camejo : 10-14-2002 at 08:35 AM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca