View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Change In The Martial Arts

Not really a change, but an adaptation, is to work on kata with starting positions of tori from seiza... but not in the kneeling seiza, but seated in a traditional western-style chair. I have a student with a total knee replacement, and seiza is impossible at this time for that student, and he may never get the necessary range of motion back. So, we put him and his partner in folding chairs, and we went to work.

Turns out that the principles used in explaining and learning said kata techniques apply in all positions of the body (people are nodding) which to me, made it extremely easy to point out the fact that those "principles" are defined by how the body works, not the starting position, if that makes sense.

Other changes, though not really, are the moderan adaptations of disarm techniques for handguns, I would guess. I don't do them myself, never had a good teacher on that topic, but I'm sure they are out there.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.