View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #223
Krystal Locke
United_States
Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Considering all of the above I find that interesting in view of the following:
Now I was giving an example of a simple system that met the otherwise paradoxical-seeming description of Endo Sensei on the point of atari rather than aiki as such. But this statement is worth exploring also -- since I did not attempt to apply any direct correspondence to anything else in terms of aiki -- but you seem to have done so implicitly albeit as opposites. The theologians call that via negativa -- the negative way.

So how would you describe more explicitly the negative of the definition of aiki that you see in the components of the scissors image in your terms ? I have some observations from what you have said that you might comment on in that regard or others I may have mentioned:

This comment seems to be relatable to the fixed point of rotation and support of the advancing point of contact in the cut and the tangent nature of the blades' action...

These descriptions seem also to find some relation in the scissors figures-- even if only negatively -- but perhaps usefully...

The focussed point of the scissor cut projects from the opposing forces driving the structures in a rotating tangent. While the scissors advances the point of cut outward -- similar mechanisms are used as a linear sliding cam action to contract or draw a point of attachment inward toward the center of rotation -- or to project a component away from it. Suriage, and kiriotoshi use this manner of action in something close to two axes (like scissors), but suri-otoshi uses it in three axes.

.. You can make two spherical spirals mesh just like scissors -- they can do this either in placing two spirals turning through one another (gearlike) on different axes, passing linearly through one another on the same axis, (turning like a screw or simply passing though both with a moving point of action -- like the scissor cut) or even collapsing and expanding in opposition to one another on the same axis and with the similar points of contact action.

The simplicity of ordinary scissors is the linear equivalent. It is less complicated to visualize the immediate action. The sphere spirals and rotations is what Ueshiba spoke of -- but they are not as different as they seem from the simple scissors. Rotations -- even potentials bring up another related point:

... "non-sourced change" ... a valid way of describing a coupled action that lies 90 degrees out of phase to the actuating change -- that kind of thing can be felt in a gyroscopic system -- and also in coupled pendulums or their static potential equivalents of poised moments. FWIW.
Now we're talking.... Can you two PLEASE keep this part of the thread going? I can see the potential mechanics of dual opposing spiral movement much more clearly having considered and expanded the scissors model, and the model strongly reminds me of shearing movements I can use directly and immediately in my aikido, but I still dont know what it is that is moving in the dual opposing spirals in IP. Is it my limbs, a sequence of internal muscles/physical structures contracting/activating, or is it something else?